Saturday, November 7, 2015

Mahalo is a Good Word



I'm back with more watercolor and this adorable lil' guy that my sister bought me cuz she loves me..


a lot ;).


(stamps: Sister Stamps Makai, Waltzingmouse Stamps My Island  other: Royal Langnickel Watercolor, My Mind's Eye Picket Fences Cardbase, Tim Holtz Distress Tool)




 This is thank you, Hawaiian style~





This is a public service announcement:

If you ever visit Hawaii, please know that if someone says to you "Mahalo"...it means thanks, k?



It's printed on trashcans too...



it doesn't mean you're being called trash.


I met a newbie stationed in Hawaii who tearfully admitted how hurt she was to be called "Mahalo" after every purchase she made.


She had to connect the dots for me because I was ????


"I see the word 'Mahalo' on trashcans and it infuriates me that locals say that to me.


I KNOW what they are calling me...I'm NOT TRASH!"



yikes.


I can see how that would have been misinterpreted.


This was years ago before google and all things internet...
 
 
with information at our fingertips.


Bless her heart.
 
 
I stifled my laugh (HAD TO,  she was soooo hurt), and I explained...
 
 
"Nooooo, they are THANKING you for throwing your trash away!"
 
 
She paused for a moment...and received it.
 
 
I make it a point to tell everyone that goes to Hawaii this translation...


~you never know.


;)

 

 
 
 
 



 






 

4 comments:

Cindy Beach said...

Hi Marlena,
Thanks so much for your sweet comment to my blog! You made my day.
I've loved visiting your blog today. Your cards are fresh and fun and I just love your writing style. Be sure that I will be back, because this is a happy place to be!

Jen Mitchell said...

Such a fun card! And thanks for the lesson about mahalo. If I ever get to Hawaii I'll be glad to hear that from everyone!

Jingle said...

Totally fun card! Thanks so much for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

cm said...

Oh my...good thing you informed this poor gal and lifted her obviously hurt feelings (and yes, I can understand the need to stifle a laugh). I think it's rather sweet that the trash cans bear a "thanks' on them, too! Your snorkling boy: a-dor-a-ble! You realize that now I want to go to Hawaii...*grin*
Hugs~c